Monday, May 10, 2010

Perth.

The night of the 8 of May started with a bang. As I headed off, bound for Capitol to watch Blue Juice (supported by The holidays and Boys Boys Boys!), after walking through a domestic between a couple at Perth Train station and passing a young lass already teary at the early hours of 7:30pm in the amps ally way, It became apparent that it was going to be an eventful night... how right I was.

After finishing my bucket of chip’s I proceeded to head inside only to be stopped by a bouncer who brazenly informed me that I was not able to take photos in the venue unless I was a professional, shooting for a magazine or any other publication. After taking a quick breath I informed the man on the door that I was in fact a ‘professional’ (what constitutes a professional in photography I’m not entirely sure) and that I was Shooting for BBB! specifically (which I wasn’t) and Yes I was on the Door, I then grinned, turned and headed inside. My smooth coated victory was sanded back by the acrylic nails of the door girl as I was asked to place my finger on the ‘mark’ (of a big box atm looking thing) and a stranger coldly replying “Thanks Joshua have a good night.”. It felt as violating as some one slapping on a glove and put a cold finger up my arse and grinning as they did it. So with clenched cheeks I walked through to the stage.

As I pushed the doors open a blast of electro pop and smooth harmonies from BBB took over my ears and they where no longer mine for the rest of the set. Always providing an energy packed show with cute smile to boot for the few people that rocked up early, they defiantly got their moneys worth. Bridget, Jerico and Nelly unfazed by the empty dance floor continued to swap instruments and positions keeping the set moving and the people involved with great banter back and forth made them an absolute joy to bop to, and for all you in Perth who sit around banning on that Perth music scene in lame, you wont speak such blasphemy once seeing BBB! at one of your local venues.

Next up was a Sydney based band The holidays. Living the Clichéd life of rock stars with torn jeans and dishevelled hair and to cool for school introduction played to a slightly bigger audience. Once the sound was ironed out my little 4OOD could rest easy as it no longer felt it was going to rattle apart from pitchy vibrations. Once they got into the set the boys had the crowd moving and faces smiling especially the loyal group of presumably under age groupies who did there best to get laid by the band but to no avail, especially for the young lass who got carted out at 9:00 and the other who passed out on the speakers after the set.

As I waited with amber my trusty sidekick I couldn’t help but notice firstly the groupie from before passed out on the couch in a compromising position also the very eclectic crowd that blue juice had pulled. The room was now filled with all shapes and sizes from annoying teen’s, a middle aged man with a disgusting mullet to the late 20’s/30’s, after what seemed to be a short interval the boys who we had been waiting for were on stage, with the Crowd already going nuts the room was loose with excitement, with a quick hello and tour stories involving police, hospitals and indecent exposure the set was under way. Mixing aggression, pop/electro and a bit of rock, Blue Juice provided an energy that can be received by many, no one was scared to get their feet moving, with all the favourites Vitriol, Broken leg and (Aint telling the truth) and my personal Favourite Head of the Hawk it was smiles all round from the crowed. Whilst the tempo of the gig kept it’s momentum of the restraint of the crowed and the cloths of the band did not, with one comes all and in a beat of the drum the mosh was spilling out on the very slippery stage. This moment was short live with a brash and sassy bouncer slamming people off the stage sending girls in heels scooting across the stage like a giraffe’s on skates and guys head over heels off the stage backwards and upside down, with antics continued through out the set including Stav getting his arse eaten out through the bum of his jeans by Jake, it was a well rounded set. After bumping into the lovely Bridget from BBB! I managed to get back stage and snap a photo of the guys from Blue Juice. Easily my favourite music moment to date. Bridget I am forever in your debt.All in all it was an amazing three sets full of excitement laughs and ridiculous antics.

What more could you want on a Saturday night in Perth.

J o s h .


No comments:

Post a Comment